Monday, January 7, 2019

Over the past two months, there have been so many opportunities to learn and fail.  I've done both.

I don't consider the end of my marriage a failure.  The failure was in not knowing what we were going to need as adults when we began our relationship at the age of 16.  I can accept that.

Our girls deserve to be put first.  At times, I've inadvertently let them see the stress and emotions that accompany such a big decision.  I've learned to make sacrifices in order to ensure that they are protected through this transition.

I realize that I was guilty of isolating myself on an island where I take on more than I should and rarely accept or ask for help.  I learned you can't create an island for yourself and then expect someone else's love and appreciation to easily reach you. It isn't fair and it doesn't work.

I learned that I have the most amazing friends and family.  They showed up and I let them in.  I should have done that a long time ago.

I haven't and won't fall apart.  There are parts of this that are hard and sad and present plenty of unknowns, but having the support and resources necessary to separate our lives requires me to be grateful.  

I learned that every aspect of my life doesn't need to be perfectly planned.  I've focused only on necessary things like shared parenting agreements, a new home and new routines.  I'm letting everything else unfold in its own time. There might just be a future in front of me that is better than anything I could have planned...



No comments:

Post a Comment